Nowadays, an online library management system is commonplace. Traditional methods for keeping track of books are either to keep a register of them or to keep a similar entry on a computer in Microsoft Excel. Up to a point, this is fine, unless you need the reports, which becomes time-consuming. This project is aimed at students and learners who want to gain project-building skills.
This issue can be solved by implementing an online library management system. Data is stored in a structured database. Making an entry, deleting, or fetching data is quick. Additionally, you do not have to be in front of the desk to access the system.
Software Requirements: Online Library Management System
The Online Library Management System is built using PHP and MySQL. It will run on Apache Server. Details are provided below.
- Operating System – Windows/Linux/Unix / MacOS
- Programming language – PHP 5.4.0 or greater (PHP 7 recommended)
- Database Server – MySQL 5.0
- Web Server – Apache 2.4.7
You cannot build a great project with a weak foundation. Keeping industry standards in mind, the project has been developed. Please take a look below.
- Excellent normalized database – Table has been mapped with primary and foreign key concepts, it has used indexing (on selected columns) as well for faster searching if the database grows to some million records
- Usage of InnoDB to support transactions – InnoDB follows ACID property which helps making the data reliable. It has features like commit, rollback, etc. More about INNODB here.
- Usage of PHP PDO Classes – PDO is a data abstraction layer that offers unified interface to access different database. which means if one fine day you want to migrate from MySQL to Oracle or any other RDBMS, you don’t have to change your PHP database code.
- Designed with Bootstrap framework – Made with bootstrap and the template is mobile responsive. It adjusts to any device be it large screens, laptops, tablets or mobile.
- Font Awesome icons – Beautiful Icons that are used all over the project
- Bootbox– A beautiful bootstrap plugin that overrides basic alert, confirm, etc.
- Client Side Validation with jQuery – All the forms has been properly validated using jQuery validation plugin.
Here is the list of features in this project.
- There will be only one Super-admin who will be accessing the admin area and managing all the task.
- Additionally, Super-admin has a forgot password feature.
- The super-admin can update his profile settings, such as name, email and password.
- The super-admin can add, edit, or delete categories such as arts, science, horror, romantic, etc.
- The super-admin can add, edit, and delete authors like Shakespeare, Charles Darwin, etc.
- The super-admin can add, edit, and delete books that will belong to a particular category or associated with a particular author.
- The super-admin can issue book for a registered user.
- The super-admin can re-issue book for a registered user.
- The super-admin can return book entry for a registered user.
- The super-admin can print receipt.
- The super-admin can save receipt as PDF
- The super-admin can delete the book issue records.
- The super-admin can activate or deactivate a registered user.
- The super-admin can delete a registered user.
Want to know more? The details about the project can be found here.